The Shankleville Homecoming began in 1941 in response to the “Great Migration” that took founding family members out of the community and into towns as close as Jasper, and and cities as far away as Los Angeles. The Homecoming was originally organized as a big family and community reunion, beginning with a “singing program” on Saturday night, and ending with all day church services on Sunday, with lots of eating and visiting on the church grounds in-between. The activities for Homecoming weekend have remained almost the same through the years, and so has its purpose — to maintain the familial ties, cultural traditions, and sense of community that make Shankleville so special, and to raise the funds needed to maintain the two cemeteries.
We invite Shankleville descendants, near and far, to “come home” annually to remember our ancestors while supporting our future with the awarding of scholarships to descendants of Shankleville. Homecoming is held annually on the first Sunday (and preceding Saturday) in August.
Continue to check this site and our Facebook page for updates on “Homecoming 2021.”
Video produced by the Texas Historical Commission
Due to concerns surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 Shankleville Homecoming was cancelled. There are presently no updates for the 2021 Shankleville Homecoming. Stay connected.
BUT . . . your help is still needed!
Donations for CEMETERY UPKEEP may be sent:
- Electronically via PayPal – paypal.me/Shankleville
- Via USPS – Shankleville Homecoming; c/o Phillip white; 1205 FM 1415 S; Wiergate, TX 75977
- Be sure to notate “CEMETERY UPKEEP” on your check or on the PayPal form.
Donations for the SHANKLEVILLE MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP may be sent:
- Electronically via PayPal – http://paypal.me/Shankleville
- Via USPS – Shankleville Scholarship; c/o Lareatha Clay; 1411 Pecos St.; Dallas, TX 75204
- Be sure to notate “SCHOLARSHIP” on your check or on the PayPal form.