Festival Date: June 24, 2017
Location: Addie J. and A. T. Odom Homestead – Shankleville Community
New this year!
Symposium featuring a special training session, “Exploring Texas Freedom Colonies.” Texas educators and administrators can earn CPE credits.
Join us for a full day of activities from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.!
- Cooking demonstrations
- Walking tours
- Live music featuring the return of E-Flat Porch Band and Special Guest, Leroy Thomas and the Zydeco Roadrunners
All applications are due by June 5, 2017; 50% discount until April 30, 2017
The Texas Purple Hull Pea Festival will be held in the historic Shankleville Community at the Addie L. and A.T. Odom Homestead. Shankleville is on FM 1415 in Newton County, Texas between Highways 63 and 87 near Jasper, Newton and Burkeville. You can also search for “Shankleville” on Google Maps, and find us there.
Where can I spend the night?
Newton is about 13 miles from Festival site. Jasper is approximately 18 miles away.
Whispering Creek Lodging & RV Park
Mention the Texas Purple Hull Pea Festival and get a 15% discount on room and cabin rates!
3713 US Highway 190 East
Newton, TX 75966
Lodging Rooms: $69.00
RV Site: 30 amp – $25.00, 50 amp – $29.00
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jasper
Mention the Texas Purple Hull Pea Festival to get the rate listed here!
501 W. Gibson St.
Jasper, TX 75951
Lodging Rooms: $99.95
Support the Festival!
Help support the 2017 festival!
You may also mail your donation to us at: TX PHP Fest; c/o Lareatha Clay; 1411 Pecos St.; Dallas, TX 75204. All donations are tax-deductible!”
Thanks to our 2017 Sponsors and Supporters!
Boosters – $2,501 – $5,000
- Shankleville Historical Society, Inc.
- Texas Historical Commission
Friends – $500 – $2,500
- Matthew H. Clay, Jr.
- Texas Commission on the Arts
- JKC Visuals
- Commissioner Thomas Gill – Newton County Government
Patrons – $25 – $199
- Deep East Texas Electric Cooperative
- Pamela and Craig Thomas
- Wellspring Federal Credit Union
Texas Purple Hull Pea Festival Mission:
- To provide a fun, entertaining and educational venue for families from across Texas to celebrate Purple Hull Peas, and their history and legacy in Texas and the lives of Texans;
- To raise funds to support the educational, scholarship and historic preservation programs of the Shankleville Historical Society, Inc.
Help support this festival and its mission!